What’s happening with the Annex/Gallery Project? That’s a question a lot of Islanders have been asking about this exciting project spearheaded by the Bowen Island Public Library and the Bowen Island Arts Council. This joint project involves the construction of an addition to the current library (Old General Store) that will include the Annie Laurie Wood Annex for the Library and a new home for BIAC’s Gallery. As a community hub for Islanders and a cultural gateway for visitors, this proposed facility will contribute significantly to the revitalization of Snug Cove.
A steering committee composed of representatives from both organizations has been working assiduously over the past several months to develop a design for the new building, hire an architect, and create a fundraising strategy. We’ve made amazing progress! Here are some highlights:
• The boards of BIPL and BIAC approved a draft design for the Annex/Gallery. Subject to funding, construction of the facility will begin in 2016 as soon as heron nesting season is over.
• The Bowen Island municipal council confirmed its support in principle of the project.
• The steering committee interviewed six architects who responded to our call for expressions of interest in the project and is very pleased to announce that local architect James Tuer was chosen. We are very excited by the vision and commitment James brings to the project.
• A professional quantity survey estimates the construction cost for the 2,800 square foot facility at $715,000 (approximately $255/square foot).
• The fundraising cabinet continues to liaise with potential donors and is very pleased by the positive reactions to the project. We’re thrilled to announce that we have commitments of more than $245,000 toward the cost of the project.
• We are applying for funding under Canada 150 – a recently announced federal government infrastructure grant program. If successful, this grant will provide a significant portion of the funds needed to complete the project.
• The Knick Knack Nook held a fabulous fundraising event in the fall of 2014 and raised over $12,000 for the project.
• The Bowen Island Community Foundation awarded the project a grant of $15,000 to assist with our capital fundraising campaign.
• A second fundraising event featuring the auction of an amazing variety of services, artwork, and other products is being held at the Bowen Island Pub on Saturday, July 4. Admission is free and everyone is welcome.
We look forward to providing more updates as we move closer to realizing our fundraising goals for the Annex/Gallery project. For more information, contact Tina Nielsen at 947-9788 or Jacqueline Massey at 947-2454.
© Copyright 2015 Bowen Island Undercurrent – See more at: http://www.bowenislandundercurrent.com/community/an-update-from-the-annex-1.1973108#sthash.dXf90FbX.dpuf